Shaving can sometimes seem scary simply because there is a chance you could cut yourself, and that’s something no girl ever wants to do! To help you out, especially when it comes time to prep for prom, we have created this what “To Do” and what “Not To Do” list that will keep your skin super soft and silky smooth!
- Use a really good quality razor particularly when shaving large areas like your legs. Try a three or four-blade razor that will give you the closest and smoothest shave ever! We recommend the Schick Quattro Razor
- Before you begin to shave, look to see which direction your hair is growing in. You always want to shave in the opposite direction of your hair growth; this gives you an ultra close shave that will last so much longer!
- Exfoliating before you shave helps a ton! Doing this rids your skin of thick dead skin cells and also helps raise your unwanted hair, again allowing you to get the best shave possible! Try a this gentle exfoliating cleanser from Olay
- Always shave in long evenly pressured strokes and be sure to rinse your razor after every pass to keep it clean and unclogged.
- Wait about an hour after shaving and apply a silky moisturizer to your skin. This will soak into the new sensitive layer rejuvenating its look and will help restore your beautiful glow! Help soothe your skin and calm any itchy bumps with Jergens Ultra Healing Body Lotion!
- Girls if you follow any of these suggestions, this one might be most important for your skin… Do NOT shave your bare skin! You need to have some type of shaving cream or lotion or you will literally shave off an entire layer of skin!! This will leave you sensitive, burning, and full of razor bumps; it’s not a good look, trust us! Gel to foam shaving formulas are our favorite, we suggest: Skintimate Shave Gel **A quick tip: if you run out of shaving cream you may use your hair conditioner (this helps keep your skin protected and moisturized).
- To ensure you get the best shave possible, do NOT use a razor past its expiration! Using a dull blade will leave you with a mediocre shave and major razor burn, Ouch!
- Avoid shaving over the same area twice, unless absolutely necessary. As we said, make one long pass and move on to another area this will avoid a lot of irritation.
- Let’s not shave dry skin, if you do you’ll just be asking for nicks and bumps and that’s never fun, Okay? The best time to shave is in a hot shower or bath where your skin is soft and the hair strands are weak!
- We also recommend shaving the night before your prom. This will give your skin time to heal and ready to look flawless throughout your entire day!
Let’s face it, no girl really likes having hair everywhere or even dealing with shaving, it’s just one of those things… but if you follow these Do’s and Don’ts, the shaving process will be that much better. You’ll achieve smooth and touchable legs, perfect for that short sassy prom dress!!
Hello Beautiful, Let’s Whiten! Having a luminous smile to match your beautiful prom dress is a must; just think about all of the pictures you will take with your girlfriends! Look back at those #nofilter pics and love those pearly whites you see, use Crest 3D White.
Complete these easy steps for a stunning white smile for prom:
- On the day of your prom, we think you should choose the 2 Hour Strips to whiten your teeth quickly and in one shot before the big night! Start by brushing your teeth for clean surface so the strips can stick perfectly to your teeth. Take a picture to compare once you are done whitening, it will be fun to see the results!
- Open the strips one at a time as directed by the box and stick the strips to the top row of teeth first and then repeat on the bottom row. While doing this, try to keep your mouth dry and saliva free so the strips stay on for the whole two hours!
- Here’s where you wait… Try doing other productive things to get ready for prom while you whiten, take a shower, go get your hair done, or prep your nails, after all a girl’s got a lot to do before prom!
- After the two hours is up (be sure not to go overtime) carefully remove the strips and rinse your mouth out with water. You can brush your teeth again gently to remove any excess gel.
- Take a picture of your bright and fabulous teeth and compare to your before photo! Like what you see? We thought so; get ready to smile big for the cameras all prom-night long and have a blast!!
If you’d like to you can use these two hour whitening strips once every couple of months leading up to your prom to achieve an unbeatable white and sparkling smile! We know you’ll look gorgeous on your prom night, but having a pretty white smile will give you that extra boost of confidence that every girl craves on such a special night!
With everything that goes into getting ready for prom like picking out a dress, finding the perfect hairstyle and even choosing your dream prom date sometimes the smaller details like your nails can be neglected! Having freshly manicured nails is a must for prom; it’s the only way to have a fully polished look from head to toe! If you have forgotten about this little detail don’t worry girls, we’re about to unveil how to get a professional looking manicure in just 8 quick and easy steps that will have you off to prom in no time… just don’t forget about those toes! Let’s start:
Step 1: Start by removing any old nail polish and wash your hands with hot water and soap to ensure the old polish is a thing of the past. We recommend using a good nail scrubbing brush to get all areas around and under the nail perfectly clean! You can find these at any local drugstore; we really like the Harmon Face Value Nail Brush!
Step 2: To have clean looking nails, pushing back the over grown cuticle is very necessary. This step can be optional depending on how long ago you have gotten a professional manicure. To do this just use a cuticle pusher, it should be really easy to move the cuticle away from the nail because the hot water from step 1 should have softened the skin.
Step 3: File those nails! Decide on what shape you would like to create whether it be a round, square, or pointed tip, then use a glass nail file to start shaping all ten nails. Using glass or crystal files are much better for your nails and we LOVE them! When you file also try to keep the lengths consistent so none of your nails are longer/shorter then the others. You want to achieve a nice tailored look especially for Prom!
Step 4: Once you get your nails filed, now it’s time for a base coat. Our favorite is called “Fast Girls” it’s quick dry base coat by Deborah Lippmann it goes on super smooth creating the ideal base coat and dries in seconds!
Step 5: Ready for the fun part?! Choose a color that goes with your prom dress and let’s start painting! For best results, make one smooth stroke down the center of the nail and then do the same on each side. This leaves you with a nice and evenly polished nail and the paint won’t be too thick. If you have a steady hand the polish should only get on your nail but, if you happen to hit the skin we have a clean up solution for you!
Step 6: This step is easy; just add a second layer of color just like you did in step 5. Two coats of nail polish are usually what’s recommended however, if you’re using a light color you can apply a third thin layer for complete coverage.
Step 7: Once the color has dried, apply a strong and glossy topcoat to each nail. This will make your color last longer without any chipping! We adore Essie’s “No Chips Ahead” topcoat for all of our manicures!
Step 8: After your nails are fully dried, you can now start the clean up we told you about earlier! All you’ll need is a teeny tiny paintbrush and a bottle of nail polish remover. Dip the small brush into the nail polish remover bottle and swipe all around each nail to take any excess polish off of your fingers without ruining your fresh paint… and it’s that simple!
Complete these 8 quick steps and you will have a salon-approved manicure that is worthy enough to debut at Prom!
There are tons of makeup secrets, tips, and tricks out there but for prom, there are three little beauty words that stand out the most: The Smoky Eye! Prom-goers all want to know how to create the most perfect smoky eye, especially if you’ll be doing your own makeup! Follow these really simple steps and with a bit of practice you’ll definitely have this sultry makeup trend down by Prom!!
Step 1: Blend, Blend, and Blend! This type of eye shadow technique is all about blending and mixing different colors together to achieve a beautiful multi-toned lid, so don’t be afraid of using multiple colors. This first step just requires you to take a lightly-colored neutral eye shadow and swipe it all over the lid from lashes to brow for an even base. Try these great neutral hues: Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette, $27
Step 2: Highlight. Right over that initial layer of shadow apply a shimmering (not sparkling) soft bone color shadow right underneath the eyebrow and also in the corner tear duct area. This step just simply highlights and brings light to the eyes, keeping them the focal point of your pretty face! Try this shadow: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadow in Bone, $21
Step 3: Here Comes Color! For this smoky eye we have chosen lavender and purple shades to play with. (You can choose any colors you’d like, just have a light, medium, and dark version of the shadow color). For this step, all you have to do is take the lightest shade, lavender, and apply it close to the lash line and blend upward towards the brow bone with a larger and more fluffy eye shadow brush. Create a range of multi-hued smoky eyes with this useful palette: Sephora Collection Color Anthology Eyeshadow Palette, $35
Step 4: Lash Line Focus. Here’s where you need a smaller stronger brush to apply a darker plum shadow along the lash line to really make your eyes pop. Start with a smaller line along the lashes that you gradually blend into the outer corner of your eye. From there, blend the plum shadow into the crease of the lower and upper lids. Just make sure everything is blended smoothly together so your shadow doesn’t look too harsh, one way of doing this is to apply the darker shadow in small circular motions! Try this awesome brush: Smashbox Double-ended Smudger Brush #20, $24
Step 5: Liner. Use any black or dark brown eyeliner for this simple step. In small dash motions apply a thin (or thick depending on how adventurous you are) line of eyeliner along the lashes to bring the drama to the eyes, which is what this beautiful makeup look is all about! Start from the outer corner and work your way in creating a smooth even line. Try: NYX Cosmetics Super Skinny Eye Marker, $9
Step 6: Mascara Time! This is it, the last step; see we told you this smoky eye thing would be easy! To complete this look, lightly curl your lashes with an eyelash curler and generously apply two coats of black mascara to your upper and lower lashes. This finishes your smoky eye perfectly. Repeat each step on your other eye and you’ll be 100% ready for Prom! Try this top-rated mascara: Maybelline Volum’ Express Colossal Cat Eyes, $7
Check out our makeup blog often for new fresh makeup tips and tricks for Prom!