With Prom only a few months away, NOW is the time to get your fitness goals in check and physically get yourself onto that cardio machine. After all, we all want to look amazing and fit in that sleek and sleeveless prom dress. But easier said than done, right? We totally feel you on this one! Between the cold, wintry days where all you want to do is pile on the sweaters, socks and blankets, the recent holiday season where we indulged on everything succulent and delicious and the obvious shortened daylight hours, the idea of hitting the gym in the morning or somewhere in between school and homework, seems like an overwhelming feat in itself. But…it can be done. And with some willpower, organization and a few minor changes to your daily routine, you’ll soon find it as part of your lifestyle…or at least until prom peeks its pretty face! Here are some helpful tips to boost your motivation.
1. Reposition your Alarm Clock. It’s no surprise that mornings are the best time to get that workout going. It jump starts your metabolism and helps you burn calories at a higher rate throughout the day. The only tragic issue? Getting out of bed extra early to make that happen. Our easy solution, which actually works wonders, is setting your alarm an hour earlier and placing it at farther area of your bedroom. Close enough so you can still hear it, but far enough that you’d have to get up and walk to turn it off. Once you’re up, you’ll find it easier to stretch and make a detour away from your bed and towards your gym clothes.
2. Schedule a Workout Date. Workout buddies are amazing motivators! Set a specific time on certain days of the week to meet for a trip to the gym, a jog in the park, a tennis match, etc. You’ll be less likely to flake out on your workout if you have someone else who’s waiting for you. Plus, having a gym buddy makes the experience much more fun and rewarding. Because let’s face it, going solo might get a little boring, which might result in poor performance at the gym.
3. Make Friends at the Gym. If you don’t have a gym buddy yet, no worries! After a few weeks, chances are you’ll make one after routine visits. You’ll become familiar with the gym regulars who exercise at the same time. See it as sort of a social factor that serves as inspiration to get going everyday. Besides, they’ll start to wonder where you are if you’re a no show for a day or two. Consistency is key and working out with other familiar faces will help you attain this.
4. Create a Set Goal. It’s always a great idea to set reachable goals. Every Sunday night, make it a point to create your workout schedule for the coming week. Write it down, for example, “This week, I’m waking up at 6am Monday through Thursday to run 2-3 miles before school.” Set alerts on your phone too, just as you would on a special appointment. If you cannot make those dates, record the reasons why. Then, set aside time later to analyze those reasons and derive ways on how to overcome them the next time around.
5. Create a Workout Playlist. Music is a guaranteed quick motivator in the morning. And research has shown that listening to good, upbeat music when you workout can create positive thoughts and help fight fatigue. The best way to go to starting with a faster tempo at the beginning of your workout to rev up your energy level then gradually shift to a slower tempo towards the end.
6. Prepare the Night Before. Following through on a workout routine can be challenging. But one of the simplest things you can do to make it easier is prepare your gym clothes and equipment the night before. This way you don’t waste any time sifting through your drawer in the morning or looking for your headphones or sneakers.
7. Reward Yourself. If you’re getting into a nice groove, meeting the goals that you’ve set out for yourself and getting up four out of five days to work out for an hour, TREAT YOURSELF! For instance, get a manicure, a new outfit or fabulous pair of shoes. Keeping that little sweet treat in mind will give you the extra push you’ll need to battle the blankets and jump out of bed to hit the gym.
And the sweetest reward of them all? Feeling amazing from head to toe and looking equally amazing in your dress at prom!
Shaving can sometimes seem scary simply because there is a chance you could cut yourself, and that’s something no girl ever wants to do! To help you out, especially when it comes time to prep for prom, we have created this what “To Do” and what “Not To Do” list that will keep your skin super soft and silky smooth!
- Use a really good quality razor particularly when shaving large areas like your legs. Try a three or four-blade razor that will give you the closest and smoothest shave ever! We recommend the Schick Quattro Razor
- Before you begin to shave, look to see which direction your hair is growing in. You always want to shave in the opposite direction of your hair growth; this gives you an ultra close shave that will last so much longer!
- Exfoliating before you shave helps a ton! Doing this rids your skin of thick dead skin cells and also helps raise your unwanted hair, again allowing you to get the best shave possible! Try a this gentle exfoliating cleanser from Olay
- Always shave in long evenly pressured strokes and be sure to rinse your razor after every pass to keep it clean and unclogged.
- Wait about an hour after shaving and apply a silky moisturizer to your skin. This will soak into the new sensitive layer rejuvenating its look and will help restore your beautiful glow! Help soothe your skin and calm any itchy bumps with Jergens Ultra Healing Body Lotion!
- Girls if you follow any of these suggestions, this one might be most important for your skin… Do NOT shave your bare skin! You need to have some type of shaving cream or lotion or you will literally shave off an entire layer of skin!! This will leave you sensitive, burning, and full of razor bumps; it’s not a good look, trust us! Gel to foam shaving formulas are our favorite, we suggest: Skintimate Shave Gel **A quick tip: if you run out of shaving cream you may use your hair conditioner (this helps keep your skin protected and moisturized).
- To ensure you get the best shave possible, do NOT use a razor past its expiration! Using a dull blade will leave you with a mediocre shave and major razor burn, Ouch!
- Avoid shaving over the same area twice, unless absolutely necessary. As we said, make one long pass and move on to another area this will avoid a lot of irritation.
- Let’s not shave dry skin, if you do you’ll just be asking for nicks and bumps and that’s never fun, Okay? The best time to shave is in a hot shower or bath where your skin is soft and the hair strands are weak!
- We also recommend shaving the night before your prom. This will give your skin time to heal and ready to look flawless throughout your entire day!
Let’s face it, no girl really likes having hair everywhere or even dealing with shaving, it’s just one of those things… but if you follow these Do’s and Don’ts, the shaving process will be that much better. You’ll achieve smooth and touchable legs, perfect for that short sassy prom dress!!
Hello Beautiful, Let’s Whiten! Having a luminous smile to match your beautiful prom dress is a must; just think about all of the pictures you will take with your girlfriends! Look back at those #nofilter pics and love those pearly whites you see, use Crest 3D White.
Complete these easy steps for a stunning white smile for prom:
- On the day of your prom, we think you should choose the 2 Hour Strips to whiten your teeth quickly and in one shot before the big night! Start by brushing your teeth for clean surface so the strips can stick perfectly to your teeth. Take a picture to compare once you are done whitening, it will be fun to see the results!
- Open the strips one at a time as directed by the box and stick the strips to the top row of teeth first and then repeat on the bottom row. While doing this, try to keep your mouth dry and saliva free so the strips stay on for the whole two hours!
- Here’s where you wait… Try doing other productive things to get ready for prom while you whiten, take a shower, go get your hair done, or prep your nails, after all a girl’s got a lot to do before prom!
- After the two hours is up (be sure not to go overtime) carefully remove the strips and rinse your mouth out with water. You can brush your teeth again gently to remove any excess gel.
- Take a picture of your bright and fabulous teeth and compare to your before photo! Like what you see? We thought so; get ready to smile big for the cameras all prom-night long and have a blast!!
If you’d like to you can use these two hour whitening strips once every couple of months leading up to your prom to achieve an unbeatable white and sparkling smile! We know you’ll look gorgeous on your prom night, but having a pretty white smile will give you that extra boost of confidence that every girl craves on such a special night!
With everything that goes into getting ready for prom like picking out a dress, finding the perfect hairstyle and even choosing your dream prom date sometimes the smaller details like your nails can be neglected! Having freshly manicured nails is a must for prom; it’s the only way to have a fully polished look from head to toe! If you have forgotten about this little detail don’t worry girls, we’re about to unveil how to get a professional looking manicure in just 8 quick and easy steps that will have you off to prom in no time… just don’t forget about those toes! Let’s start:
Step 1: Start by removing any old nail polish and wash your hands with hot water and soap to ensure the old polish is a thing of the past. We recommend using a good nail scrubbing brush to get all areas around and under the nail perfectly clean! You can find these at any local drugstore; we really like the Harmon Face Value Nail Brush!
Step 2: To have clean looking nails, pushing back the over grown cuticle is very necessary. This step can be optional depending on how long ago you have gotten a professional manicure. To do this just use a cuticle pusher, it should be really easy to move the cuticle away from the nail because the hot water from step 1 should have softened the skin.
Step 3: File those nails! Decide on what shape you would like to create whether it be a round, square, or pointed tip, then use a glass nail file to start shaping all ten nails. Using glass or crystal files are much better for your nails and we LOVE them! When you file also try to keep the lengths consistent so none of your nails are longer/shorter then the others. You want to achieve a nice tailored look especially for Prom!
Step 4: Once you get your nails filed, now it’s time for a base coat. Our favorite is called “Fast Girls” it’s quick dry base coat by Deborah Lippmann it goes on super smooth creating the ideal base coat and dries in seconds!
Step 5: Ready for the fun part?! Choose a color that goes with your prom dress and let’s start painting! For best results, make one smooth stroke down the center of the nail and then do the same on each side. This leaves you with a nice and evenly polished nail and the paint won’t be too thick. If you have a steady hand the polish should only get on your nail but, if you happen to hit the skin we have a clean up solution for you!
Step 6: This step is easy; just add a second layer of color just like you did in step 5. Two coats of nail polish are usually what’s recommended however, if you’re using a light color you can apply a third thin layer for complete coverage.
Step 7: Once the color has dried, apply a strong and glossy topcoat to each nail. This will make your color last longer without any chipping! We adore Essie’s “No Chips Ahead” topcoat for all of our manicures!
Step 8: After your nails are fully dried, you can now start the clean up we told you about earlier! All you’ll need is a teeny tiny paintbrush and a bottle of nail polish remover. Dip the small brush into the nail polish remover bottle and swipe all around each nail to take any excess polish off of your fingers without ruining your fresh paint… and it’s that simple!
Complete these 8 quick steps and you will have a salon-approved manicure that is worthy enough to debut at Prom!