There’s seriously nothing sexier then a gorgeous girl in high heels… Right? Glowing with seductive charm and showcasing your poised posture throughout prom night must be in your top priorities! You’ll look stunning in that prom dress, your hair will be amazing and your makeup will be impeccable so, YES, you have to know how to move about the party in heels, while still keeping that statuesque confidence in tact! Get those feet, shoes, and legs in sync so you’ll be ready to have a blast without stumbling, or worse, falling in your dress… Oh No doll, that’s not a good look!! Here are our best tips to get your body ready for a night in those sky-high prom stilettos!
- Take them for an early spin! Once you’ve found the most fabulous heels; wear them before the big day! Breaking in your new heels is crucial and trust us, your feet will thank you at prom. The best thing to do is wear your heels around your house, maybe while you’re cleaning your room or practicing your new dance moves to the latest Justin song… either way, this gives your feet a chance to mold and break in your heels leaving you with less of a chance of getting blisters or sore dancing feet!
- Yoga. Keeping your balance on the tiniest of heels does take skill but what you really need more than anything is balance! Try practicing yoga to not only lengthen and tone your body, but yoga will help your muscles learn balance and good posture. Balance is essential to the sport of heel wearing, so take this bit of advise and start doing some sun salutations now to prepare for the big night!
- Take a cheat seat! If you can, whenever you can, sit down! This is how you will be able to last all night long in those gorgeous pumps, and big plus, show off the new heels to everyone in sight! Don’t be afraid to give your little toes a rest every once in a while, your feet will thank you and when your feet are happy, you’ll be happy! That has to be a saying somewhere right?!
- Make your heels your own. Customizable cushions are sold in every shoe store to help your shoes fit impeccably; this is why step number one needs to happen! Once you parade around in your shiny new shoes, see where any irritation might be happening… are you slipping? Is the back rubbing? There’s a cushion for that! Try these comfy strips!
- Think long and limber! To walk with the most elegance possible, take a tip from our beloved runway models; straighten your legs and extend them when you walk. This will make you look lean and graceful instead of uncoordinated and clumsy. Also use your core muscles, keep them taught when you take steps, this keeps your whole body in line and looking flawless!
- Scuffs are your friend! Well… in this case we mean on the soles your shoes. When your heels are brand new the soles are shiny, untouched, and very very slippery. So, in case you didn’t have time to dance around in your shoes before prom, use some sandpaper and scratch the bottom of your shoes a bit. When there are nicks under your shoes it gives you grip, this grip will keep you from making any slips or falls on the real dance floor…Totally Embarrassing!!
- Confidence, Confidence, Confidence! Girls, we can’t stress this word enough. When your have confidence nothing can stop you… think you can walk in heels and be fierce and you will rock those heels and look like a knockout doing it, it’s that easy! Pretend you are a model strutting down the runway aka the Prom runway and you will be the most fabulous in the room!
Take our advise and be a graceful goddess at prom or should we say, a graceful goddess with killer heels?!
It’s a fact…finding the perfect dress for prom stands as tip top priority when planning for the big night. But let’s face it, what you wear under your dress is just as important as what you’ll be showcasing at the party. Plus, wearing essential undergarments that work well with your look will complement your style choice, while supporting and highlighting all of your best features. And depending on the style and silhouette of your dress, you’ll want to choose undergarments that fit and shape your figure in the best way possible.
- For support around your waistline, especially if you’re wearing a form-fitting dress that tapers your torso, try this item: Spanx Hide and Sleek Hi-Rise Panty with Thong Back, $42
- For added lift and shaping of your backside curves, this item will do the trick: Spanx Bootyfull Sheer Pantyhose, $28
- For plus-size support, this item works very well in highlighting your shape, Spanx Trust Your Thinstincts High-Waisted Mid-Thigh Shaper, $72
- For shaping your thighs, especially if you opt in wearing a body-con dress for prom or a tapered mermaid dress, try Assets by Sara Blakely Remarkable Results Mid-Thigh Shaper, $28
- Strapless dresses for prom are always a classic and timeless choice. But finding the perfect bra that keeps your curves looking natural, while staying put might be a little tricky. Try this strapless bra, Wacoal ‘Red Carpet’ Convertible Strapless bra, $60
- Halters and racer-back dresses also require a special bra without any potential strap “peek-age” – because we all know that can appear a little tacky. Try this item, Victoria’s Secret Multi-Way Bra, $58-65
- For sheer fabrics like illusion dresses and materials that require smooth and seamless lines, the perfect slip will do the trick. Try these items, Free People Seamless Mini Slip, $28-34 for short dresses here and long dresses here
- For backless dresses, especially ones with elaborate cutouts, a self-adhesive bra is the ideal option by providing shape and support in the front, while keeping your back clean and bra-strap free. Try this item, Fashion Forms Nubra Ultralite self-adhesive backless strapless bra, $32
Although the month of January typically calls for big coats, chunky knits and layers upon layers of warm clothes and booties (all “tres chic,” of course), we can’t forget that this is also the perfect time to start planning your shopping escapades for prom. After all, finding your prom dress, the one most destined for YOU, is a top priority and may take some time and dedicated shopaholic energies. But in an effort to help you on your quest for the perfect dress, we’ve rounded up some must-have trends that have made their way to the style radar for spring 2014. Peep these top looks below, consider each and GO SHOPPING FOR YOUR HOT PROM DRESS HERE!!! You’ll soon come across the ideal look that complements your personal style and body type.
What’s not to love about this truly classic look? With its decadent fabric that makes for a timeless feel combined with its playful, slightly coquettish side, the all-over lace look would be perfect for prom, while even transitioning into other social occasions there after. And with my dress silhouettes to choose, you’ll find a look that’s tailored for your own style. And if you’re a girl who loves a splash of color, you’ll adore the fresh and modern pops of pretty hues for the ultimately girly look.
The gorgeous dimensions of the eye-candy, two-tone trend mixed in with its use of luxurious appliques, makes this style a MUST HAVE in the fashion category for prom. The vivid use of soft colors overlaying a muted neutral base palette creates a total look that’s equal parts elegant and freshly demure.
Crop tops are such a hit these past few seasons, especially when pulled together in the most tasteful way possible. And the two-piece dress look is hitting all the right fashion notes for prom. With a fabulous range of bodices designed in lace, illusion or multi-faceted beading combined with matching long skirts in tapering slits or full A-lines, you’ll captivate the masses at your party in this uniquely daring style.
With its sheer fabric combined and subtle ability to create a streamlined silhouette from top to bottom, the illusion trend is the perfect option for prom. The graceful hints of translucence along the sleeves, neckline, back or skirt meshed with elements of beading or embellishment creates a wonderfully crafted dress with lots of allure from head-to-toe.
Bright color never goes out of style, especially when it comes to evening dress looks with pops of solid bold hues. And when paired with dazzling dips of rhinestone, you’re in for a statement-making look that was designed to turn heads. Think bright reds, canary yellows, rich fuchsias and even solid black and whites – these are looks made for the crowning spotlight.
Preparing for your prom night can be a daunting task, especially when you’re not yet sure about the type of look you want to capture. But rest assured ladies! By giving yourself ample time for all the planning and prep work needed for the perfect prom look, you’ll surely stand out from the crowd at your party. And January is the ideal time to get your complete checklist, beauty/fitness to-dos and most importantly, prom dress shopping dates in order! Before you know it, time is just going to fly by and you’ll soon find yourself days away from one of the most important moments of your life. There’s a lot to consider now. But let’s zero in on one area that for many ladies, can be the most important of them all: Finding the Right Prom Dress. With all the fashion posts and articles about what’s trending for 2014, you can be swayed into thinking that there’s only a handful of fashion styles deemed acceptable for the upcoming season. And although there’s nothing wrong with wearing a cute and trendy piece, you should see if it’s the right fit for your personal style, taste and importantly, body type. The right dress can certainly highlight and accentuate the best features of your shape. So here we’ve created a helpful guide towards finding the most flattering and complementing dress tailored especially for you:
First off, it’s important to take some time to determine your body type (that is, if you haven’t done so already). Here’s a great article to find out in 5 easy ways.
Pear shaped. Dresses with bottom portions that are more free-flowing will camouflage your lower body, especially if you want to give more attention by highlighting your slender torso. A-line prom dresses and long evening gowns with an empire waist that follows down into a dramatically flowing skirt are perfect options! For the neckline, opt for a look that showcases your shoulders and arms, like a strapless dress or halter. Here’s some great looks that work well with this body type, Chiffon Beaded Plunge Dress and Two-Tone Dress with Beaded Bodice.
Large bust. The ideal dress for those with a large bust should include a bodice with added support. The best fashion looks for this body type include dresses with wide shoulder straps to support your bra, while masking undergarments. One-shoulder prom dresses are another great option, especially when combined with the right one-shoulder bra (here). Avoid dresses with spaghetti thin straps and anything with very high necklines, which will give the illusion of an even larger bust. Try a look with an A-line or flowing high-low dress silhouette that keeps your torso looking smaller, while giving more attention to the dramatic bottom portion. Check out these looks, Chiffon One-Shoulder Beaded Dress and Grecian High-Low Dress.
Thin. Although considered one of the most enviable body types, this shape is considered to be one of the most challenging, especially when the goal is to augment or give the illusion of more curves. To start, it’s important to give most attention to the most narrow area of your body: the waistline. Then, find a look that has more volume to the areas above or below your waist. A two-piece prom dress with full skirt, as well as dresses with mermaid or trumpet skirt shapes are great choices as they will give you a curvier figure. Try these top trends that work wonders on a thin body frame, Venetian Lace Two-Piece Dress, Lace Trumpet Dress and Two-Piece Illusion Dress.
Petite. Petite girls are in luck when it comes to finding an amazing prom dress. Thankfully, with the blessed style creation known as the platform stiletto heel, shorter ladies can add more height to their frame. The best option will be to go for a long, floor-sweeping dress with platform heels (making sure that the dress covers the entire shoe). This way, you can increase your height to 4, 5 or even 6 inches, depending how daring you are. But if want something a little more creative at the hemline, the high-low dress gives a lovely illusion of being longer at the back, while showing some classy legwork at the front. Take a peek at these great style options, Chiffon and Lace Strapless Dress, Grecian Strapless Dress and Strapless High-Low Dress.
Apple shaped. Opt for prom dress styles to draw attention away from your mid-section and highlight other toned areas of your frame like your shoulders, arms and legs. Those with this body shape will look gorgeous with a body-doll style dress both long and short. The key is to keep the mid-section free-flowing without constricting these area with tightly-fitted look. Some great styles to consider include, Strapless Long Dress With Beaded Empire Waist, Mesh One-Shoulder Dress and Strapless Beaded Short Dress.
Hour-glass shaped. Although considered another great body type, finding the right dress may also seem a bit tricky as some looks could make you look heavier than you actually are. Depending on the material and overall fit, a tightly-fitted dress from head-to-toe can sometimes look distasteful and unflattering. But with the fabric and elegant silhouette, your blessed curves will surely be showcased in the most lovely light. Opt for body-skimming with trumpet skirts and those with a lean, slinky looks like these, Long Sequin V-neck Dress, Tulle and Lace Dress with Trumpet Skirt and Illusion Halter Dress.
And if these suggested looks aren’t your style cup of tea, there are MANY, MANY other styles that fit beautifully for your body type. Check out all the latest looks in the Prom Dresses 2014 Collection.
Best wishes and happy shopping, lovelies!