Have you ever slipped on a dress or a shade of makeup that makes your face look vivid and full of vibrance? And then you slip on your second option that’s pretty much the same exact shade of the first look, only to realize that the second shade makes your skin appear so dull and washed-out. They key to this insanity is that the first look may have matched your skin’s surface tone and undertone to a T, whereas the second look was way off in terms of matching your undertone.
So what’s the difference between surface tone and undertone? Let’s first take into account what they actually mean. Our skin’s surface tone is the color you’d typically identify with when choosing foundations, concealers, etc. You would be categorized in one of these: ivory, light, medium tan, dark tan, etc). And your skin’s undertone is what lies underneath the surface, which is broken down into three groups:
Cool (pinkish, red or bluish undertones)
Warm (yellow, peachy or golden undertones)
Neutral (a combination of warm and cool undertones)
Before we find out the ways to determine your true shades, let’s clear up a popular myth! The belief that pale girls can never be warm-toned is completely false. There are fair-skinned ladies with warm undertones, like Angelina Jolie, for instance. And dark-skinned women like iconic model Alek Wek have cool undertones.
Now let’s take the right steps in determining which category you stand under. These steps are highly essential in helping you pinpoint the right look, or more specifically, PROM DRESS color that’s ideal for you. A little bizarre, but so helpful!
- Analyze the veins of your arms. Take a moment to push your sleeves up and check out the veins on the inside part of your wrist. Do you appear to be more green or blue? If blue, then you have cool undertones. If they look more on the greenish side, then warm tones it is. And the reason for greenish veins isn’t because they’re actually green… your warm, yellow-toned skin creates this effect.
- Take the Neutral Test. Determine what neutral shades are most flattering on you. Ask yourself this: Does my eyes, skin and overall face appear better in stark black and white hues, or creamy, off-white and brown/tan shades? If you chose the former, then there’s a good chance your cool-toned gal. The latter would definitely fall under the warm-toned category.
- Consider the traditional jewelry trick. Ask yourself, which tone of jewelry gives you a more vibrant glow: gold or silver jewelry? Ladies with cool undertones will find silver to be more of their true match, while gold looks much better on warm-tones.
- Examine your eye and hair color. Another great determinant is identifying your natural eye and hair colors. Typically, cool tones are reserved for those with blue, gray or green eyes and having blonde, brownish or even black hair with blue or ash undertones. Warm toned girls have brown, hazel or amber eyes with strawberry blonde, red, brown or black hair, with an almost red or orange undertone.
- Examine your skin after a day in the sun. What happens after you’re out basking in the sun’s rays? Does your skin slowly turn to a golden-brown, do you burn or turn immediately pink? Those with very warm tones will tan into a golden brown easily, very cool toned girls will inevitably burn and medium-skinned cool-toned girls may burn at first and then tan.
- Pick a celebrity whose tones match yours. Take a look at some random pictures on popular red carpet events and find celebrities with cool tones and those with warm. Then, see the dress they’re wearing and if it suits them well. This serves as another helpful way to determine which color prom dress will suit you. Here’s a tip, celebs with cool undertones include Anne Hathaway, Cameron Diaz, Scarlett Johansson and Cara Delevingne. Those with warm tones would include Jennifer Aniston, Jessica Alba, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez and Eva Mendes.
- Choose a range of colors that look best on you. There’s no denying that warm-toned girls will look their best in shades of yellow, warm reds, oranges, browns, greenish-yellows, creams and camels. Cool-toned girls are glowing in blues, rich greens, purples, pinks, bluish-greens, fuchsias and reds with a very blue base.
For more handy tips and tricks on fashion, beauty and more for PROM, PROM, PROM…check back with us daily!
There’s seriously nothing sexier then a gorgeous girl in high heels… Right? Glowing with seductive charm and showcasing your poised posture throughout prom night must be in your top priorities! You’ll look stunning in that prom dress, your hair will be amazing and your makeup will be impeccable so, YES, you have to know how to move about the party in heels, while still keeping that statuesque confidence in tact! Get those feet, shoes, and legs in sync so you’ll be ready to have a blast without stumbling, or worse, falling in your dress… Oh No doll, that’s not a good look!! Here are our best tips to get your body ready for a night in those sky-high prom stilettos!
- Take them for an early spin! Once you’ve found the most fabulous heels; wear them before the big day! Breaking in your new heels is crucial and trust us, your feet will thank you at prom. The best thing to do is wear your heels around your house, maybe while you’re cleaning your room or practicing your new dance moves to the latest Justin song… either way, this gives your feet a chance to mold and break in your heels leaving you with less of a chance of getting blisters or sore dancing feet!
- Yoga. Keeping your balance on the tiniest of heels does take skill but what you really need more than anything is balance! Try practicing yoga to not only lengthen and tone your body, but yoga will help your muscles learn balance and good posture. Balance is essential to the sport of heel wearing, so take this bit of advise and start doing some sun salutations now to prepare for the big night!
- Take a cheat seat! If you can, whenever you can, sit down! This is how you will be able to last all night long in those gorgeous pumps, and big plus, show off the new heels to everyone in sight! Don’t be afraid to give your little toes a rest every once in a while, your feet will thank you and when your feet are happy, you’ll be happy! That has to be a saying somewhere right?!
- Make your heels your own. Customizable cushions are sold in every shoe store to help your shoes fit impeccably; this is why step number one needs to happen! Once you parade around in your shiny new shoes, see where any irritation might be happening… are you slipping? Is the back rubbing? There’s a cushion for that! Try these comfy strips!
- Think long and limber! To walk with the most elegance possible, take a tip from our beloved runway models; straighten your legs and extend them when you walk. This will make you look lean and graceful instead of uncoordinated and clumsy. Also use your core muscles, keep them taught when you take steps, this keeps your whole body in line and looking flawless!
- Scuffs are your friend! Well… in this case we mean on the soles your shoes. When your heels are brand new the soles are shiny, untouched, and very very slippery. So, in case you didn’t have time to dance around in your shoes before prom, use some sandpaper and scratch the bottom of your shoes a bit. When there are nicks under your shoes it gives you grip, this grip will keep you from making any slips or falls on the real dance floor…Totally Embarrassing!!
- Confidence, Confidence, Confidence! Girls, we can’t stress this word enough. When your have confidence nothing can stop you… think you can walk in heels and be fierce and you will rock those heels and look like a knockout doing it, it’s that easy! Pretend you are a model strutting down the runway aka the Prom runway and you will be the most fabulous in the room!
Take our advise and be a graceful goddess at prom or should we say, a graceful goddess with killer heels?!
Shaving can sometimes seem scary simply because there is a chance you could cut yourself, and that’s something no girl ever wants to do! To help you out, especially when it comes time to prep for prom, we have created this what “To Do” and what “Not To Do” list that will keep your skin super soft and silky smooth!
- Use a really good quality razor particularly when shaving large areas like your legs. Try a three or four-blade razor that will give you the closest and smoothest shave ever! We recommend the Schick Quattro Razor
- Before you begin to shave, look to see which direction your hair is growing in. You always want to shave in the opposite direction of your hair growth; this gives you an ultra close shave that will last so much longer!
- Exfoliating before you shave helps a ton! Doing this rids your skin of thick dead skin cells and also helps raise your unwanted hair, again allowing you to get the best shave possible! Try a this gentle exfoliating cleanser from Olay
- Always shave in long evenly pressured strokes and be sure to rinse your razor after every pass to keep it clean and unclogged.
- Wait about an hour after shaving and apply a silky moisturizer to your skin. This will soak into the new sensitive layer rejuvenating its look and will help restore your beautiful glow! Help soothe your skin and calm any itchy bumps with Jergens Ultra Healing Body Lotion!
- Girls if you follow any of these suggestions, this one might be most important for your skin… Do NOT shave your bare skin! You need to have some type of shaving cream or lotion or you will literally shave off an entire layer of skin!! This will leave you sensitive, burning, and full of razor bumps; it’s not a good look, trust us! Gel to foam shaving formulas are our favorite, we suggest: Skintimate Shave Gel **A quick tip: if you run out of shaving cream you may use your hair conditioner (this helps keep your skin protected and moisturized).
- To ensure you get the best shave possible, do NOT use a razor past its expiration! Using a dull blade will leave you with a mediocre shave and major razor burn, Ouch!
- Avoid shaving over the same area twice, unless absolutely necessary. As we said, make one long pass and move on to another area this will avoid a lot of irritation.
- Let’s not shave dry skin, if you do you’ll just be asking for nicks and bumps and that’s never fun, Okay? The best time to shave is in a hot shower or bath where your skin is soft and the hair strands are weak!
- We also recommend shaving the night before your prom. This will give your skin time to heal and ready to look flawless throughout your entire day!
Let’s face it, no girl really likes having hair everywhere or even dealing with shaving, it’s just one of those things… but if you follow these Do’s and Don’ts, the shaving process will be that much better. You’ll achieve smooth and touchable legs, perfect for that short sassy prom dress!!
It’s a fact…finding the perfect dress for prom stands as tip top priority when planning for the big night. But let’s face it, what you wear under your dress is just as important as what you’ll be showcasing at the party. Plus, wearing essential undergarments that work well with your look will complement your style choice, while supporting and highlighting all of your best features. And depending on the style and silhouette of your dress, you’ll want to choose undergarments that fit and shape your figure in the best way possible.
- For support around your waistline, especially if you’re wearing a form-fitting dress that tapers your torso, try this item: Spanx Hide and Sleek Hi-Rise Panty with Thong Back, $42
- For added lift and shaping of your backside curves, this item will do the trick: Spanx Bootyfull Sheer Pantyhose, $28
- For plus-size support, this item works very well in highlighting your shape, Spanx Trust Your Thinstincts High-Waisted Mid-Thigh Shaper, $72
- For shaping your thighs, especially if you opt in wearing a body-con dress for prom or a tapered mermaid dress, try Assets by Sara Blakely Remarkable Results Mid-Thigh Shaper, $28
- Strapless dresses for prom are always a classic and timeless choice. But finding the perfect bra that keeps your curves looking natural, while staying put might be a little tricky. Try this strapless bra, Wacoal ‘Red Carpet’ Convertible Strapless bra, $60
- Halters and racer-back dresses also require a special bra without any potential strap “peek-age” – because we all know that can appear a little tacky. Try this item, Victoria’s Secret Multi-Way Bra, $58-65
- For sheer fabrics like illusion dresses and materials that require smooth and seamless lines, the perfect slip will do the trick. Try these items, Free People Seamless Mini Slip, $28-34 for short dresses here and long dresses here
- For backless dresses, especially ones with elaborate cutouts, a self-adhesive bra is the ideal option by providing shape and support in the front, while keeping your back clean and bra-strap free. Try this item, Fashion Forms Nubra Ultralite self-adhesive backless strapless bra, $32