Your skin is the key foundation for any flawless makeup application and it’s an ultra delicate layer that can make or break your perfect prom look! Prepare your skin early and get it ready for prom (meaning moisturized, glowing, and yes pimple free) with these 8 easy steps:
- Cleanse – Girls, yes you have to! Washing your face twice a day, morning and at night is crucial! Repeat after us: “I will never go to sleep with my makeup on.” You have to clean your skin and pores to prevent any blockage, which causes pimples. Just don’t over do it because if you wash your face too much, your skin will begin over producing oil and that’s just counterproductive! Try this gentle yet highly effective cleanser: La Roche Posay Toleriane Cleanser, $23
- Toner – This is the usual second part step to any skin care regime and it really is important. A toner can be applied with a cotton pad to get any left over makeup off your face after you cleanse. This too will unclog pores and ensure breathable glowing skin! Try this toner: Kiehl’s Cucumber Herbal Alcohol Free Toner, $16
- Moisturize – Let your skin drink it in! The more you moisturize the better your skin will look, do this twice a day as well and see results, especially if you have very dry skin. Some moisturizers also come with SPF and/or tints to them so it protects the skin while making it totally prom ready! Try this moisturizer: The Body Shop Vitamin C Moisturizer SPF 30, $20
- Exfoliate – Do this once a week for a stunning glow and smaller pores! Exfoliating your skin removes all dead skin cells that will ultimately clog your pores, if you remove it before that happens then you’re ahead of the pretty skin game! Warning, don’t do this every day because it could really dry out your face or irritate the skin. Try this gentle exfoliating scrub: Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub, $5.99
- Mask – The mask… you’ve probably experienced this at sleepovers or your girls nights right?! But maybe you didn’t know you could make your own mask with everyday ingredients that work even better then the store bought formulas! You can even tailor your mixture to your specific skin type to achieve a flawless face and awesome skin!
- Eyes – Teen girls usually associate eye cream with old women who don’t want crow’s feet but really it’s never too early to start moisturizing the lids! The skin around the eyes is the most sensitive on your entire face so yes, girls, we mean you… make sure you’re using an eye cream every night! You won’t even believe how smooth your eye shadow goes on when your primping for your prom night… you’re welcome! Try this eye cream: Olay Regenerist Eye Cream with Touch of Concealer, $18
- Water – Drink tons of water every day! Water is a remedy for many of the body’s imperfections, but for the skin it is vital. Drinking at least 8 large glasses of water a day can improve you skin and clear up acne, exciting right! This is the easiest and cheapest way to get impeccable skin. Start now and your skin will definitely be ready for the big night!
- Sunscreen – Everyone needs sunscreen protection, everyone! It doesn’t matter your skin color, the sun damages skin cells; don’t let your pretty little face go outside unprotected, even in the winter months! Use at least an SPF15 on your face everyday to prevent having any type of harsh sunburn at prom, AH!! Try this award-winning sunscreen: bareMinerals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen, $28
More posts about getting the most perfect skin are coming soon, yay!
Everyone knows that Prom is all about the dress and being sure to have the hottest style that makes you feel glamorous for the day, but let’s face it your hair is a very close second to pulling that right-of-the-runway look together…Right?! That’s why we want to teach you all about your hair, from the texture, to the products needed, to heat of it all; How should your prep your precious locks for prom?!
Lets break it down… Ready?
So, there are 3 Main Types of Hair based on your origins, Pick yours:
1. African / Caribbean Hair – This type of hair is very distinct and has characteristics of its own, like being very tightly curled and often very dark in color. While this type of hair is extremely beautiful when treated right, there is a big opportunity for breakage and can be easily damaged by harsh chemicals! Don’t you worry one bit though, we are gong to tell you exactly how to prep your hair and style it to get the best and healthiest look possible for your prom!
2. Asian Hair – The Asian hair types are so stunning, but it too has its own tendencies that might make it a bit tricky to style for prom. On the plus side, this type of hair is usually very soft and silky, it’s also commonly seen in a very dark to medium brown hair color. What makes it different from other textures of hair is that it is very thick, strong, and most times extremely straight which could pose a problem if your trying to get a curled style for your prom night. The hot tools and products you use will be crucial to keeping that voluminous bounce going all night long!
- Caucasian / European Hair – This hair type is, well we’ll just say it… all over the place! The origins of this hair are declared from all around the world leaving you with tons of colors and textures to claim. To keep it simple, this hair can be anywhere from very curly to very straight and anything in-between, and the same goes for the color, you can have very dark brown to very light blonde hues in this category. Once you pick your color and style, you must decide on the texture, this is a choice of: fine, medium, or coarse. We will go into how to style all three types of hair and textures for that picture-perfect prom hairstyle that you’ve been dreaming of!
Now that you know which hair type you have, Let’s talk products:
- First rule of thumb to having happy healthy hair for any type is to NOT wash your hair with harsh shampoos every day!! This is the root to all things damaging because it strips your hair of its natural oils (which you need) leaving you with dry, brittle hair… This is never good ladies!
- Solution: try washing your hair at least every two days and purchase all natural shampoos without the harmful chemicals! We suggest you get your hair into a new washing routine now before Prom.
Back to the hair types…
- African / Caribbean hair care products:
- Wen Cleansing Conditioner – We know we just said to not wash your hair often and we’re serious really, but when you do clean your pretty little curls wash your hair with Wen! This cleansing conditioner cleans you hair of its impurities while also giving your hair a surge of moisture to drink in!
- Wild Growth Hair Oil – The fragile nature of your hair needs extra moisture to grow long and luscious so we suggest this oil to massage into your roots, it will protect your hair, leave it super smooth, and frizz free!! We deem this the holy grail of hair care for this type of textured hair, use it often a few months until prom to achieve the long beautiful tendrils your looking for!
- Paul Mitchell Smooth Iron – Really, for all hair types a good flatting iron or straightener is a Must but this top of the line smoothing iron is what you need to go from small wild curls to a straight and sleek style for prom! Once you get the technique down, this iron can also make pretty amazing curls… two in one? Now that what were talking about!
- Asian hair care products:
- Joico Daily Shampoo- This salon-approved shampoo is perfect for your thick hair because a little goes a long way. It leaves your long locks nice and shiny and ready for any prom inspired do.
- Big Sexy Hair Spray & Play- This hairspray is truly magic in a bottle when trying to get your straight or slightly wavy hair to hold a curl for the whole entire prom night! After applying heat, whether from a curling iron or straightener, spray a generous amount of this sexy potion all over your finished style for a strong hold yet beautiful finish. TIP: purchase a small bottle too to take along in your Prom Survival Kit to ensure a long lasting curl!
- TIStudio Styling Wand from Remington- To get the stunning curls you’ve always wanted for prom you must choose the best curling iron or in this case wand! A wand is a bit different from a curling iron because it does not have a clamp. Here is where practice makes perfect girls, and you will definitely need some to get this look down before prom! This wand gets to 410 degrees and works wonders for any hair type, just be sure to use the heat proof glove when styling!
- Caucasian / European hair care products:
- Frizz Ease Secret Weapon- Secret weapon huh? Yes, girls this finishing cream is that good! This stuff can smooth any type of frizz for a flawless styled finish that you’ll love, it’s like coming right out of the salon! If you will be doing your own hair for prom we highly suggest investing in this outstanding touch-up crème.
- Moroccan Oil- Apply this oil to your wet hair every time you wash it and get ready to be amazed with your results! Especially if you are one of the girls with coarse or curly hair, you need a little help in the moisture department so this product is the best. Use this oil for a couple of weeks before prom and voilà perfect hair!
- DRYBAR Southern Belle Volumizing Mousse- Transform your fine lightweight hair into a voluminous display of style when you use this fabulous mousse! This feather light formula gives your hair so much body without a crunchy feel, making it the perfect choice when you’re styling your hair for prom. On top of giving you big sexy hair, it also protects against heat and reduces any unwanted frizz; now that’s a double win for hair right there!
Stay tuned for more inspirational prom hairstyles and how-to’s coming soon!
As 2014 peeks its pretty and promising face, it’s only natural that we feel we’re given a fresh new start with many “to do’s” and new year’s resolutions to check off our list. And if this new year sparks a special event such as your wedding day, you can rest assured that we’ve refreshed our bridal racks this year with an exquisite range of wedding dresses, as well as bridesmaid dresses to make that one night as wonderful as ever! From lace to beaded embellishment and illusion in a chic selection of silhouettes, you’ll find a look that not only captivates you but reflects what your true personal style is all about. Visit our Camille La Vie Bridal boutique online or in store and find your bridal beauty!