There are tons of makeup secrets, tips, and tricks out there but for prom, there are three little beauty words that stand out the most: The Smoky Eye! Prom-goers all want to know how to create the most perfect smoky eye, especially if you’ll be doing your own makeup! Follow these really simple steps and with a bit of practice you’ll definitely have this sultry makeup trend down by Prom!!
Step 1: Blend, Blend, and Blend! This type of eye shadow technique is all about blending and mixing different colors together to achieve a beautiful multi-toned lid, so don’t be afraid of using multiple colors. This first step just requires you to take a lightly-colored neutral eye shadow and swipe it all over the lid from lashes to brow for an even base. Try these great neutral hues: Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette, $27
Step 2: Highlight. Right over that initial layer of shadow apply a shimmering (not sparkling) soft bone color shadow right underneath the eyebrow and also in the corner tear duct area. This step just simply highlights and brings light to the eyes, keeping them the focal point of your pretty face! Try this shadow: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadow in Bone, $21
Step 3: Here Comes Color! For this smoky eye we have chosen lavender and purple shades to play with. (You can choose any colors you’d like, just have a light, medium, and dark version of the shadow color). For this step, all you have to do is take the lightest shade, lavender, and apply it close to the lash line and blend upward towards the brow bone with a larger and more fluffy eye shadow brush. Create a range of multi-hued smoky eyes with this useful palette: Sephora Collection Color Anthology Eyeshadow Palette, $35
Step 4: Lash Line Focus. Here’s where you need a smaller stronger brush to apply a darker plum shadow along the lash line to really make your eyes pop. Start with a smaller line along the lashes that you gradually blend into the outer corner of your eye. From there, blend the plum shadow into the crease of the lower and upper lids. Just make sure everything is blended smoothly together so your shadow doesn’t look too harsh, one way of doing this is to apply the darker shadow in small circular motions! Try this awesome brush: Smashbox Double-ended Smudger Brush #20, $24
Step 5: Liner. Use any black or dark brown eyeliner for this simple step. In small dash motions apply a thin (or thick depending on how adventurous you are) line of eyeliner along the lashes to bring the drama to the eyes, which is what this beautiful makeup look is all about! Start from the outer corner and work your way in creating a smooth even line. Try: NYX Cosmetics Super Skinny Eye Marker, $9
Step 6: Mascara Time! This is it, the last step; see we told you this smoky eye thing would be easy! To complete this look, lightly curl your lashes with an eyelash curler and generously apply two coats of black mascara to your upper and lower lashes. This finishes your smoky eye perfectly. Repeat each step on your other eye and you’ll be 100% ready for Prom! Try this top-rated mascara: Maybelline Volum’ Express Colossal Cat Eyes, $7
Check out our makeup blog often for new fresh makeup tips and tricks for Prom!
As you know, we have this little obsession with beauty products. After all, every girl needs to match her perfect party dress with the right makeup essentials for a pretty and polished look…it’s the ultimate finishing touch. So at Camille La Vie, we’re making it our mission to not only bring you the most beautiful dresses, but we’re allotting some much-needed time and energy towards finding what we believe to be the MUST-HAVE (and most importantly, EFFECTIVE) beauty tools each season. And for Summer 2013, it’s all about light and pretty colors with a natural, sun-kissed look. For this post, our focus is pouty, gorgeous lips without the heavy, bold hues. And while we love a pretty color for our lips, especially when it comes in lovely packaging…we try to find ones that keep our puckers well-hydrated. Because really who wants a lip product that delivers color, but leaves them chapped and dry as you move through the day?
THE SOLUTION: Moisturizing lip color balms (because they’re seriously amazing).
These 6 products have faithfully made their way into our cosmetic bags and they’ll never leave. Try these and see for yourselves:
1. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment: it comes in a variety of colors and although a bit pricey, the end result is supple long-lasting lips. Our favorite, by far!
2. Clinique Almost There Lipstick: if you want to add more striking color (especially for evening affairs), this is a must. It also works as a moisturizing lip balm – SCORE!
3. Clinique Chubby Stick: it’s a fashion blogger favorite…and for great reason. This was one of the first ones we’ve tried…and it was love at first pout from here on out!
4. Neutrogena Moisture Smooth ColorStick: pretty much identical to the chubby stick in form and function, plus half the price…no complaints there.
5. Stila Color Balm Lipstick: gives a creamy color to your lips while adding the essential nourishing effects of a lip balm. It has a satin finish with a hint of shine. Love!
6. Smashbox Limitless Stain & Color Seal Balm: who doesn’t love a two-in-one? Especially if it pairs a long-wearing stain with an emollient balm. Wear it together for a colorful, lustrous sheen or alone. Either ways work wonders.
So which one tickles your fancy?
So many superb entries from our Makeupbee contest partnered with MAKE UP FOR EVER CANADA. It was so difficult to pick our grand prize winner. After careful consideration, we just had to go with EyeColourYou-Princess MUA Daquari – her dress selection paired with her makeup execution for this look is simply phenomenal, as it truly showcases her dedicated skill, while keeping consistent with our Prom 2013 theme. We thank you for participating and doing such a well done job!
And we want to THANK YOU ALL for submitting your gorgeous, seemingly jaw-dropping entries. We had a lengthy list of favorites…there’s a lot of incredible, competitive talent out there! And rest assured that the opportunity to win big does not end here. Stay tuned as we launch more fabulous contests and sweepstakes to give you all another shot at showing off your personal style in our next fashion showdown!
And PS…. if you the love the dress featured above…SCOOP IT UP HERE. Just in time for Prom!
Fortunately that time of year has peeked it’s pretty head again – the preparation for summer 2012! Are you excited?! Well we sure are. And while we’re prepping our figures to slip into those summer strapless dresses to show a bit more skin with longer sessions at the gym, a healthier nutrition plan and more guzzles of that trusty H20 for a more radiate complexion, we’re also in the process of drafting a special wish list of our 2012 beauty essentials! After many shopping trips here and there to test out these products, we are now proclaiming our love for these beauty must-have items. Here’s our fabulous round-up of luscious products guaranteed to kick start the summer season in fresh style (starting counter-clockwise):
1. Caudalie Beauty Elixir $18: With a few spritzes of this elixir (don’t you love that word, ee-lix-ir?), you’ll instantly feel transcended into a cool and invigorating state of bliss (for maybe about a few minutes or until you feel the urge for another heavenly spray). The scent of herbs offer an almost zen-like spa feel as it not only smells amazing but also tightens your pores and stimulates microcirculation. 2. Neon Yellow Nail Polish $6: We’re all for bright and vibrant colors when it comes to our dresses, but with the warm and sunny weather comes the need for an even brighter pop of color. This neon yellow nail polish hue by American Apparel is the perfect little addition to your summer wardrobe. And if you’re a gal who loves wearing white dresses or light neutral outfits, then this would be the perfect compliment for an added touch of pazazz. Watch your nails glow even brighter under direct sunlight. 3. Essie Poppy Razzi Nail Polish $8: And if you’re a lover of all things pretty in pink, then you might just adore this bright neon pink from Essie’s special collection – we sure do! Our suggestion is to keep the rest of your look to a chic minimum when wearing a hot and vivid color like this one. 4. POP Beauty “Nail Glam” Nail Polish $10: Bright neons might not fit everyone’s taste, but coral is definitely a crowd-pleasing favorite – it sure is in our beauty department. This nail color not only works for summer but can certainly transition into the fall season, where neons might not. It’s definitely one of the top on our have-to-grab beauty list. 5. Moroccan Oil $38: With warm and humid weather, comes the dreaded hair frizz. So finding the perfect product to tame our tresses might seem like a daunting task. However, our locks are in love with Moroccan Oil. After giving it a few test runs, we fell head over heels for this hair product. We’re sure you’ll be pleased too. 6. Nars Body Glow $69: Although we strive for that rich and supple olive-toned complexion for the summer, we all know that basking under those hot and searing ultra-violet rays is no good for our skin. So this yummy and dewey body glow by Nars is the perfect and fail-safe option. You’ll look radiate and your skin will definitely thank you. 7. Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray $24: If you’re a fan of those natural beach-like wavy locks (picture a vintage shot of Brooke Shields in Blue Lagoon), you can definitely achieve this look without a single trip to the beach. Simply spray onto your damp hair, tie up into two “Chun-li” style buns for 10 minutes and blow dry briefly, then let it go and notice your waves in action! You’ll even achieve some wave by simply air-drying in the warm and summery weather. 8. Evian Facial Spray $7: We recommend this bottle of wonder in conjunction with Caudalie. If you don’t want to use up that “spa-in-a-bottle” beauty elixir too fast, you can always whip out your Evian Spray. It costs less than Caudalie, while still giving you that much-needed refreshing pick-me-up. Keep it mind that this is pretty much the unscented version. 9. Clinique Chubby Stick $16: Unless you’re prepping for a summer night affair, this moisturizing lip balm is the perfect product for your day events. It comes in a slew of pretty neutral hues (we suggest Mega Melon or Mighty Mimosa) and is quite long-lasting 10. Bioderma Sensibio H20 $30: If you’re in search for the most reliable makeup remover and fresh facial cleansing solution without harsh perfumes, then look no further. This magical products enables dirt to be emulsified, while soothing your skin with cucumber extract. Other added benefits? It’s non detergent, non-foaming and completely soap free – au naturale in a bottle to say the least.
So that’s a little round-up of great beauty essentials, but we’ll surely be adding more to our wish list (stay tuned for another beauty post). Until then, WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS! Leave us a comment below and let us know what summer products you can’t live without and leave a link to where we can snag it. We need to add to our shopping list roster!